The process and issues with setting up a new swim spa.
Forum rules

Members are encouraged to share first-hand personal experience, facts and expertise. They are not allowed to make broad critical assessments of any particular swim spa manufacturers. Also, they may not leave signatures, URLs or text including blatant sales messages, solicitations, advertisements or self-promotion of any form.

7 posts Page 1 of 1
I live in New Jersey. My husband and I are thinking about putting a swim spa in our basement. We are worried about humidity, drainage and other electrical requirements.

We are looking at the modular swim spas (i.e. Endless Pools and Swimex). Is anyone aware of installation issues with these types of swim spas?
I see a lot of these modular swim spas going indoors in garages, sunrooms and basements.

If you plan for humidity, it shouldn't be a problem. Install a flooring that can handle splashes and high humidity (i.e. tile, hardwood or indoor/outdoor carpet). Install a venting system similar to what you would install in a shower. And most importantly, be sure to install a security cover on rollers and a track. Close the cover when not using the swim spa. If you do all three of the above, humidity will not be a problem.

All of the manufacturers of modular swim spa discuss the need for floor drains on indoor installations. They do this for a good reason - to minimize their liability if something goes wrong. I've seen a number of floods on indoor installations and they fall into two groups: 1) silly mistakes and 2) slow leaks. It is very very unusual for a swim spa to have a catastrophic failure. When there is large, fast flooding, it is always because the homeowner had done something silly (i.e. fallen asleep while refilling, or left a valve open while refilling). However, slow leaks are somewhat common. These are caused by bad pvc fittings, leaky through-wall fittings, cracks in the shell, or seam delaminations or punctures in vinyl liners. To sum it up, if you can easily install a floor drain, I would do it. If not, try to avoid silly mistakes, and install a sump pump and / or a flood alarm. You should be ok.

Not sure what you mean about electrical requirements. All of the swim spa manufacturer's have electrical specs in their installation instructions. In addition to these, I do have a few thoughts. Many municipalities will not allow you to install a swim spa in a spot with electrical mains running overhead. Also, I would avoid any location underneath steel beams or metal piping (if the swimmer touches these, they could act as a ground, completing an electrical circuit running through the swimmer).

Hope this helps. Good Luck.
A swimming pool at home will be a good idea,health-wise,pleasure-wise as well as appearance-wise.Me and my wife also thinking of investing in an Endless Pool and situating it in our garage.Thanks gjackson,this information will be helpful for me...
As a matter of fact, I need this help tomorrow I want to scheduled a swim spa in my yard. I am in search of this help.
I found more and more compulsory information to read your blog related my needs.
Thanks to share this unique information this page.
Hey there is no problem in installing swim spas, I see a lot of these modular swim spas going indoors in garages, sunrooms and basements.

For humidity,it shouldn't be a problem. You have to just Install a flooring that can handle splashes and high humidity. The most important thing is to be sure to install a security cover on rollers and a track. Close the cover when not using the swim spa. If you do above things, humidity will not be a problem.
I hope this will help you and you don't have any problem...
Some advantages and disadvantages of Spa in basement are:

1) An inexpensive option for installing your pool.
2) Allows for year-round swimming in any weather.
3) The easiest option for do-it-yourselfers.
4) Excavation is not necessary.
5) Installation can be faster than for partial or full excavations.
6) Heating costs are lower than for outdoor pools.
7) Makes unwanted pool access more difficult for children and pets.
8) You can create a unique, beautiful and private custom setting for your pool.

1) You may need an exterior step or stairway to enter the pool.
2) Ceiling height may limit which Deeper Pools are appropriate.
3) If the floor is not already concrete, a concrete pad may need to be poured.
4) A fully or partially in-ground pool can be more attractive and accessible.
I took an inground pool, sized it down to an "Endless pools" dimensions, put it in my basement and ran it for 11 years. I just used a room dehumidifier, and keep it covered up when not using. Have no problems at all.
7 posts Page 1 of 1